Okay... I can't figure out why this isn't working...

When I enter in a valid URL this function works fine...

The problem is when I enter an invalid url, rather
than getting my (semi) friendly die error I get

Warning: fopen("http://www.foxjet.com/html/fjmain.html","r";) - Unknown error in
/home/www/foxjet/admin/mailer.php on line 37

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in
/home/www/foxjet/admin/mailer.php on line 38

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in
/home/www/foxjet/admin/mailer.php on line 39

Here is my function (With Line numbers added)

31: Function CreateMessage($url,$boundary)
32: {
33:
34:   if (substr($url,0,7) != "http://";)
35:     $url = "http://"; . $url;
36:
37:   $fp = fopen($url,"r") or die("Page $url Not Found!");
38:   $buffer = fread($fp, 100000);
39:   fclose($fp);

/* More Code */

65: }