On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:24, Richard Quadling <rquadl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For many many languages, scope is essential. PHP has had scope since
> day 1 (OK, I'm pretty sure PHP has had scope since day 1).

    Depending on which generation/incarnation of PHP you mean, you're
correct.  Forms Interpreter (PHP/FI and PHP/FI 2.0) had variable
scope, but the original - the very Granddaddy, Personal HomePage Tools
- did not, if memory serves.  That initial implementation was actually
nothing more than a small series of Perl scripts.  When Rasmus rewrote
everything in C, that's when variable scoping was introduced (again,
fairly certain).

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager