On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:15:48 +0100, Matijn Woudt wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Jonesy <gm...@jonz.net> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a reason _not_ to use viz:
>>
>>        putenv("TZ=America/Anguilla");
>>  ??
>>
>> Or, is it simple "Just The Linux Way"(tm) , i.e. there's
>> always more than one way to do a 'thing'?
>
> From the PHP Manual:
> "every call to a date/time function will generate a E_NOTICE if the
> timezone isn't valid, and/or a E_WARNING message if using the system
> settings or the TZ environment variable."
>
> So that will generate E_WARNING messages.

Ya, but...  I am using that _very_ statement and get no E_WARNING.
The timezone illustrated _is_ valid.  IWFM.
I believe the PHP manual is 'awkwardly' written in this case.
Better would be if that *whole* sentence above was re-written beginning
with "If the timezone is invalid, every call .... , and/or an
E_WARNING ... "
As written, it could be construed to mean an E_WARNING is _always_
generated for setting the TZ environment variable.

Jonesy