On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From the fine manual [1]:
> l (lowercase 'L')
> A full textual representation of the day of the week
>
> I can never remember this one, and I use it occasionally. What is the
> mnemonic for "l"? How did this letter come to be chosen? Can anyone
> more creative than me think of a way to associate the lower case
> letter "l" with the full textual representation of the day of the
> week?
>
> Thanks!
>

> [1] http://il2.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

Hi,

I've been wondering where the letter was chosen from too, so I took
svn and got all the way back to revision 214 where the options was
first added. Note that this commit is June 7, 1996, and we're talking
but it seems that rasmus was pretty much developing PHP on it's own in
those days.
It seems that it has been added when cookie support was added, and for
the cookie to set a date they wanted a nicely printed day. It seems to
be just a choice from rasmus back in those days.
My best guess would be that the 'l' is chosen because it is the last
letter of 'full' in 'full name of day', though I don't understand why
'f' or 'F' wasn't chosen.

Well, try remembering the 'l' in 'full' if you need it the next time..;)

- Matijn