Can you explain a more clearly what it is you're trying to accomplish?

It sounds like you have a string "$x < $y" in the database that you then
replace into a string "4 < 5" which you want to test a conditional on. If this
is the case, why are you storing conditionals in the database?

Regards,

–Josh
Joshua Kehn | @joshkehn
http://joshuakehn.com