On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 21:33, Michael Save
<savetheinter...@omegasdg.com> wrote:
> Because "normal" PHP is not asynchronous.
>
> Also, I kind of doubt you can outperform node.js with standard PHP.

    Your doubts are indeed well-grounded.  Using node.js (indeed,
V8-based apps in general) are compiled as native machine code, which
don't require the added overhead of a parser, such as PHP.  With that
said, compiling PHP (such as with HopHop) would give at least
comparable performance results.

    Still, all in all, I would never discourage someone doing a
'node.php' application.  While its performance may not be quite as
good speed-wise, that doesn't mean it can't become more robust, more
generally-applicable, or even just find niche uses.  I've written
numerous socket servers in PHP for a variety of clients and uses,
where they made sense (speed of deployment, ease of code-management by
a number of developers who don't know C, et cetera).  I can easily see
where this could add value.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager