On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 07:09 -0500, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

>> > I don't think you understand what define does, or what a constant is.
>> >
>> > The define function literally "defines" a constant. That is, it
>> > creates a constant in your script.
>> > A constant isn't a server variable, it's not some kind of special
>> > global whatever.
>> >
>> > A constant is a kind of variable, but which is constant; that is, it
>> > can not change value once set. Constants in PHP look like variables,
>> > only without the preceding $-mark. They are not inherently safer or
>> > better than normal variables.
>> >
>> > Now, the question we would all like to pose is: "what are you trying
>> > to do?". You say you're looking for the best method of storing/using
>> > a token to be called at will. Then of course a good question would
>> > be "what do you mean by 'token'?" and what do you want to do with
>> > that 'token'? Why is that 'token' so important to you?
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling I was off-track.
>> I am using the token for a paypal verification. Paypals PDT.
>> Would like to know how to store safely in my config file to use in my
>> scripts.
>>
>> Karl DeSaulniers
>> Design Drumm
>> http://designdrumm.com
>>

> Store it in a PHP script outside of document root if you can, this
> prevents it ever being seen if the server is misconfigured to not parse
> php scripts properly.
>
> Try to secure all the scripts on the site, as any of them could be a way
> in, allowing someone to execute their own code on the server. This is
> standard practice generally though.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

For credentials, such as tokens, passphrases, etc, I don't tend to
store these in any particular language so that I can read and use them
no matter what implementation language I'm using.

These are stored outside of any server path, and strict
permissions/ACL controlled.