I've looked all over the net and I have been unable to find a concrete answer
to this question. I am about to start development on a web application that
will need to provide real-time updates of data to user's browsers. WebSockets
are ideal for this task.

I have read in some places on the net that PHP is not suitable for WebSockets
due to it's nature. That WebSockets are designed for long running
threads/processes which each maintain multiple event-driven connections,
whereas PHP was designed around the short-lived single process procedural
paradigm.

Yet on the other hand I see lots of guides and libraries (such as
http://socketo.me/) on the net that deal with PHP WebSockets. So I don't know
what to think at this stage. Is PHP a suitable platform for developing a web
application that requires WebSockets?