>From my experience to maintain many virtual host, I prefer use Apache + PHP
+ suPHP. I think this combination will be able to cover your ideal
situation above. But, I usually use authentication via shell user
(/etc/user). You must find tutorial or something that integrate Apache and
Active Directory (there are many out there).

suPHP is designed to replace suExec (default Apache mod). It will run a PHP
file as a user that own the files. There are no problem if you want to use
it for many user, because suPHP is designed for that. For user who will
uploade file, you can always use FTP to access their own file. Each user
can has their own .htaccess in their own directory and all the websites
will have one global rule in httpd.conf.