On 10/10/2012 4:27 PM, Matijn Woudt wrote:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:53 -0400, David McGlone wrote:

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 07:36:00 PM Tim Streater wrote:
On 10 Oct 2012 at 19:17, David McGlone <da...@dmcentral.net> wrote:

BTW - in any of your other computer languages didn't they utilize a
'return' statement?  PHP's is no different.

back in  like '85, I learned Pascal that's the only language I learned and
  don't recall if it used return.

Mmmm. There's the problem. Pascal doesn't *have* a return statement. In
Pascal, implicitly, you return when execution reaches the end of a
function. In fact the same is true of PHP and JavaScript, but in those
languages you can return early just by saying return.

IMO, this is a major limitation of Pascal. I use returns wherever I feel
like it - if I detect there's nothing more for the function to do, I
return. Purists object to this; they say you should enter a function at one
place and leave at one place. Well, that's a point of view. But more often
that not it just leads to convoluted code in order to achieve that. The one
time I *had* to use Pascal as that was the only option, I simply put a 999:
label at the end of the function and did goto 999 wherever I wanted to do a
return. Simples!

goto was the thing that got on my nerves. Even to this day I hate that word
with a passion.

I think most people do, all but BASIC purists!

Not really, goto can safe you a mess. In some situations it's much
easier and cleaner to use something like goto cleanup; at each error
case, instead of duplicating the cleanup code all over again (Closing
sockets, or in languages like C, freeing memory).

- Matijn

haven't used a goto or go in 30 years.