Daniel Brown wrote:
This is the output:

>America/Los_Angeles
>Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:22:09 -0400
>Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:22:09 +0000
>1350422529 (-14400)
>Tue Oct 16 17:22:09 EDT 2012
     Is this a shared server, Rich? As shown, the admin configured the
timezone of the machine to be EDT and set the clock right, but php.ini must
be set to PDT. You can easily override this with a local php.ini file, an
.htaccess directive, or by placing date_default_timezone_set() near the top
of the code.

Managing 'time' is an ongoing problem simply because some of the essential tools are missing. While the browser only returns a current time offset rather than a time zone, one has no idea of a user's real local time? One of the preferred methods of working where a server is being accessed from several timezones is that the server should run at UTC and any data stored should then be UTC as well. Then we have problem when displaying for a time only using the browser information, since next month the time may be an hour different? So we have to work with some user supplied timezone which will also add the DST information.

If you only want a single 'timezone' ever, then UTC still makes prefect sense since nothing will be changing the offsets, and you just say 'local' :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL