On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Sachin Raut <imsachinr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I have to develop multilingual e-commerce (clothing) website. Could anyone
> who has developed these kind of sites before guide me on how to start the
> development or recommend any tutorial / book for developing these kind of
> sites?
>
> Would really appreciate any inut regarding this.
>
> regards
> Sachin Raut

There's this at O'Reilly: "Building eCommerce Applications"
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023098.do

And this at Amazon: "Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL" by
Larry Ullman http://amzn.com/0321656229

Also, not really knowing how much you need to do yourself, you could
probably get a leg up using existing frameworks and such.

The multilingual aspects will certainly be tricky. Gettext is sort of
the standard for doing multilingual things, but in and of itself
doesn't really provide much help in understanding *how* to do
multilingual right, and can be problematic. Some frameworks do support
multilingual sites; I know drupal does, for example, and includes
quite a lot of other things that can help you build an e-commerce site
rather quickly, but drupal itself has a rather steep learning curve.

Passages of just plain text aren't that difficult; it's when you start
constructing displayed text dynamically that it will be trickier, for
certain.

Just thinking off the top of my head; you will likely need something
other than just gettext with it's separate language files for things
like product descriptions. I think it gets rather difficult, and
probably bad form, to have your separate strings in files in your code
base linked to data base entries; simpler just to store the various
multilingual data base bits in the data base itself. But you can see
how complex it gets.

At any rate, I hope you have a fair bit of experience in building
dynamic internet sites already, this is not going to be easy.