Some help please...

I am creating a select list from a database, and I am trying to hold the
value of what has been selected by a user, while I do some error checking.
It is searching a mysql db to pull out the list. It will then need to pass
values back into the database. The code I am using is this...

<? echo "<select name=\"FIELDNAME\">";
   print "<option value=\"\">Select</option>";
   for ($index = 0; $index < mysql_num_rows($query); $index++) {
   $row =  mysql_fetch_row ($query) or die (mysql_error());
   print "<option value=$row[1]>$row[1]</option>";
   }
   echo "</select>";
   ?>

If there is an easier way, let me know....

Mark