There's no need for it to be a flame war. The mysql extension is officially
not recommended for writing new code, so anyone using it should be informed
of this fact. I think it should consist of more than "don't use that," but
at the very least that should cause the questioner to want to know why.

http://php.net/intro.mysql

This issue is problematic for exactly the reason Norah demonstrates above:
"it's working." Great that in this case it hasn't been left at that, but
most will see it work and think they've "got it right." I believe the
community has a responsibility to give good advice and recommend best
practices as well as directly addressing people's problems, so it's right
that things like this get repeatedly pointed out where appropriate.

-Stuart
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd
http://3ft9.com/
--

Thanks, didn't know about this. No doubt it's been general news for months
or years but I see the PHP manual page you linked to was edited 3 days ago.

Cheers
Arno