On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> Curtis Maurand <cur...@maurand.com> wrote:
> >

> >Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
> >> Dear List -
> >>
> >> My
> >mysqli extension seems to have gone away.
> >>
> >> $host =
> >'localhost';
> >> $user = 'root';
> >> $password = 'SdR3908';
> >> echo "hello2<br />";
> >>
> >var_dump(function_exists('mysqli_connect'));// this returns boo(false)
> >> $db = 'Store';
> >> $cxn =
> >mysqli_connect($host,$user,$password,$db);
> >>
> >> I tried to
> >reinstall -
> >>
> >> rosenberg:/home/ethan#  apt-get install
> >php5-common libapache2-mod-php5
> >> php5-cli
> >> Reading
> >package lists... Done
> >> Building dependency tree
> >> Reading
> >state information... Done
> >> libapache2-mod-php5 is already the
> >newest version.
> >> libapache2-mod-php5 set to manually
> >installed.
> >> php5-cli is already the newest version.
> >>
> >php5-cli set to manually installed.
> >> php5-common is already the
> >newest version.
> >> php5-common set to manually installed.
> >>
> >0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> >>

> >> It did not help.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> >Ethan
> >>
> >> --
> >http://www.php.net/unsub.php
> >>

> >Found
> >this in ubuntu forums.
> >
> >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1814736
> >

> >sudo apt-get install
> >php5-mysql
> >This package contains the PHP module that interfaces with the MySQL
> >server.
>
> Could it be that the mysql service on the server has stopped. Typically
> you'd do something like this on RedHat/Fedora servers:
>
> service mysqld status
>
> That would certainly stop the extension working from within PHP.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash

I'm sorry, but this is just plain wrong.
The extension has nothing to do with the mysql service. In fact, a lot of
the larger websites have their database service running at a different
server, and probably don't even have the mysql service installed.

- Matijn