What this sounds like to me is that as well as having a PHP binary, that
PHP is installed as a module in your web server.

For whatever reason ( more than likely, the file extension ) the web server
is NOT executing it as a CGI itself, but passing it to the PHP module to
deal with. That is just treating the #! line as text and passing it
out to the browser.

You need to figure out what is going on and pick one way to do it.

Brian

At 22:41 25/07/2001 -0400, Darren Henderson wrote:

>If I have php installed as an executable outside the web tree I can't seem
>to get php scripts, called as a cgi, to work correctly. When run from the
>command line this script....
>
>---------------------
>#!/usr/local/bin/php
><?php echo "hello world\n"; ?>
>---------------------
>
>Produces....
>
>---------------------
>
>hello world
>---------------------
>
>Just as expected. However, when called from a browser it ends up getting....
>
>---------------------
>#!/usr/local/bin/php
>hello world
>---------------------
>
>when we view the source with a browser. If we telnet to port 80 and do a get
>for the url in question we find that the above is all that we get, no
>headers of any kind.
>
>If we add a -q the #! line we get the behavior we expect from the command
>line, the headers are supresed, but the browser ends up getting "No input
>file specified." sans headers or any html tags.
>
>Why am I seeing this behavior? I would expect the script the produce the
>exact same output whether it is called via the command line or as a cgi
>outside the web tree. I had thought that perhaps it was a system dependent
>bug, however, I am seeing this same behavior on several machines, AIX 4.2
>running 4.06, FreeBSD 4.3 running 4.0.4.pl1, and I've found similar reports
>in the bug db for HP/UX etc.
>
>So... this leads me to believe I must be missing something somewhere....
>anyone have any thoughts?
>
>How do I supress the printing of the #! line? It has to be in col 1 row 1,
>if it wasn't for that I could manually enter the headers at least and
>continue on my way, Where did the headers go? if I use the -q option to
>purposely turn off headers, I could provide my own, but if I have that
>option it tells me that there is no input file specified if its not invoked
>from the command line.
>

>--

Brian White
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd - SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy
Phone: +612-93197901
Web:   http://www.steptwo.com.au/
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]