"Richard Kurth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> How can I recompile Apache so that I can use PHP4 as a Dynamic Module (DSO).
> This is a working server and I can not change the httpd.conf file so I do

You must be able to edit httpd.conf to enable PHP module anyway. Refer to
INSTALL file in source dist and PHP Manual.

If you are using RedHat, Apache supports DSO by default.

> not what to just do a compile and make install. Also there is not a copy
> of apxs on the server where can I get a copy of this. The server is
> running with RedHat 7.

Install apache-devel package.

> What are the dangers of recompiling Apache on
> a working server. By the way I know how to compile Apache and php

It is not dangerous if you know what is going on. Save copy of httpd.conf and
other configuration related files before you type "make install" just in case.
If you aren't familer with Apache/PHP, I suggest to try it on your spare
machine. Apache supports RedHat file layout, but it is not the same AFAIK. Refer
to Apache Manual and INSTALL instruction for detals.

Since some of RPM depends on Apahce, you might consider to install Apache to
default location.

Regards,
--
Yasuo Ohgaki