I ended up using your simpler version, which came out like this:

$contentquery3 = mysql_query("SELECT *, YEAR(date) AS year, YEAR(NOW()) AS now
FROM $articlestable WHERE articleSectionID = '$id' AND YEAR(date) = YEAR(NOW())
ORDER BY date DESC") or mysql_die();

Thanks.

Mike

--
Mike Gifford, OpenConcept Consulting, http://openconcept.ca
Offering everything your organization needs for an effective web site.