The book discussion has been beat to death on this list -- check the
archives (www.php.net) and you'll find a long list of opinions on
various books.

As for tutorials, the best way I've found to learn PHP is to come up
with a project and simply do it.  For instance, I created a PHP-based
registration system for a 4th of July barbecue we had.  Totally
unnecessary and lots of overkill, but it sure helped me learn PHP and
MySQL.  I've also thought about rolling my own MP3 catalog manager,
personal contact manager, etc.  You get the idea.  At least for me,
that's been the best way to learn PHP -- by simply digging in and
getting my hands dirty with it.

hth

--kurt