You need to define the variable early in the movie. Then you simply put the
field name with the {} symbols and it will be replace by what the variable
value is. In your example, you would put in the text area Hi, {NAME} whats
up? In the properties for that text object you also need to make sure it is
selected as dynamic text.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Pearson