Uh...this is just a guess, but could it be the line endings are
confusing PHP? Perhaps you have DOS formatted files in Unix or Unix
files in DOS or Mac files in DOS or DOS files in Mac or ...you get the
idea... That is, in DOS lines are ended by \n\r, in Unix by \n, and in
Mac by \r. Lacking the correct line endings often leads to confusion for
parsers.

Cheers,
Sterling