Obviously, dedicated hosting is something that I am considering. But given
that the application I am writing won't be ready for at least 3 months, I'd
feel a bit stupid to spend $300+/month when the only user will be me and
maybe another person. Furthermore, my current web host sys admin stated that
he has been compiling PHP in the same way for the last 3 years and has never
had a problem, therefore he will not make any change. I don't believe that
is too smart a choice in a field where everything changes continuously (if
car dealers had his same policy, we'd still be buying Ford T...). Thanks for
your suggestion though :-)

Damiano