Generally I would expect one of two possibilities in this scenario..
either
a) you are passing thru the url (limited I believe to about 255
characters)...if so use a form with METHOD=post
or
b) you are storing in a DB and the size of the field in the db is too small
(in general most rdbms' will just cut the string off to fit without any
warning).

Have you tried doing a dump of $HTTP_POST_VARS and $HTTP_GET_VARS?

HTH,Tom