> If I have a file called db.inc with, for example, this:
>
> However, any user on the system can read db.inc cause its
> chmod'd 0644.
> If I chmod db.inc 0600 or even 0640, index.php can not include it.
>
> How do I go about protecting my files from being read by
> users on the system?

Below is how Rasmus recommends this be handled.

Kirk

The right way to fix this is to add a rule to your Apache configuration
that looks like this:

<Files ~ "\.inc$">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

That will simply prevent any direct access at all to your .inc files.
Making the .inc files simply be parsed by PHP could still be a problem as
they could be called out of context.

-Rasmus