look in httpd.conf to get the user name,
then chown the directory to that user

ex.

chown apache:apache ./dir/
chmod 755 ./dir/

and make sure that you change permissions to all
files that you write into the directory to be
read-write only (not executable),
chown 644 filename

and that you put newly uploaded files into a
directory *outside* the document root of your
webserver (so some random person cannot just
upload any random file to your server and have
immediate access to it)