Sorry I wasn't very clear on what I needed to be done by javascript and php.

basically i have a flash movie that calls a javascript function and I was
wondering if I could do something in javascript like:

var x = "bleh.php";

and get some variables back but I soon learned that I could do this from
within flash itself.

thanks for all the help though. I find the other stuff useful for perhaps
another project. ciao
-student of computer science