Thanks to those who replied, i finally worked it out - the script has been
pasted below just incase anyone is sifting through the list archives looking
for the same thing.  One thing though, my server doesn't allow me to open a
GIF file through HTTP - ie this doesn't work

$image = ImageCreateFromGif(http://www.severname.com/image.gif);

Does anyone know of a server/hosting company that will allow me to do this?

The script:

<?

$id = ImageCreateFromGif("image.gif");

$trans = imagecolorexact($id, 120, 100, 90);

imagecolortransparent($id, $trans);

ImageGIF($id,"newimage.gif");

echo "done";

?>