I'm using a MySQL-database to store my session variables by using the
following code:

session_set_save_handler

    "sess_open",
    "sess_close",
    "sess_read",
    "sess_write",
    "sess_destroy",
    "sess_gc"
);

session.gc_probability in the php.ini file is set to 1.

In a book I read that this means that the function sess_gc will then be call
everytime I start a new session by using: session_start();
But the function sess_gc will never be called so my table including the
session variables is growing up and never be cleaned. Only if I call the
sess_gc function myself the old sessions will be deleted. Do I always have
to do this myself or what's wrong with my code?