Well on submission of the email you could try contacting their mail server
and pretend to a have a mail for them using SMTP.

If you get a "recipient ok" or similar message.. ,thre is a code for it,
then at least the server accepts mail for that address. You might be better
off croning this rather than have the user wait on a http request.
Alternatively there is a perl mod that does this as well.

Secondly you could write a script that downloads the mail from root and
deletes out the database anything that bounces. You could even delete these
messages from the root account once done

HTH

Regards

Jon

--