just to add some info.  rememember this is case sensitive and spaces do
matter, sometimes (depending on your goals) the following will apply :

  $good_names = array('jim','philip','sasheen');

  $my_name    = 'PHiliP';

  if (in_array(trim(strtolower($my_name)),$good_names))

and, another good function is array_keys and array_search.  see :

  http://www.php.net/array

regards,
Philip Olson