Hey Richard, you are right but I got someone that suggested an easier way to do
it.

tar xvzf php-4.0.5.tar.gz
cd php-4.0.5
# need to make sure -lssl is before -lcrypto in configure for curl to work
correctly
sed 's/-lcrypto/-lssl -lcrypto/g' configure > c2
rm -f configure
cp c2 configure
chmod 755 configure

Now I have a new problem when I configure php.  I checked in the archives but it
seems like I'm missing lex and have to install it.  I have root access at a
webhost and I know they just configured php so shouldn't lex or flex be there?
Am I missing something?  Well I'm going to install lex right now and see if it
works.

checking lex output file root... ./configure: lex: command not found
configure: error: cannot find output from lex; giving up