For emails I've seen some nice work somewhere in the annoted manual.

I think it's in the chapter about regular expressions..
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ereg.php

You might not only want to kill anything dangerous.. Checking email address
is also handy to prevent your database to be filled with crap..

For Phone numbers you could create a page which contains the - between the
numbers.. so only numbers are allowed.. quite easy with regular expressions..
Or just one filed and check the number someone gives and see if it hold the
string you thought it should hold.

Think about what you want to allow and what you want to refuse.

Bye,

B.