Hi Richard,
First, I think it should be:
$variable = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]";
instead of:
> $line_text= "[EMAIL PROTECTED]";

as you overwrite $line_text with your fgets.

Also:
>         if ($variable = trim($line_text)) {
Should be:
         if ($variable == trim($line_text)) {

Otherwise you are doing an assignment, which will always be true.

Finally, your while loop should probably be:
while(feof($fd) == false) {
        $line_text = fgets($fd, 2048);

Because fgets returns EOF at the end of a file, not necessarily false (I
THINK EOF currently is false, though theoretically EOF could change to any
value).

Cheers,
Kelly.