On Friday 14 September 2001 17:01, you wrote:

if you want to work with the passwords that originally are in the shadow-file
your webserver needs to have read-permissions for the shadow-file, which is
no good idea.

you could parse out the passwords from the shadow-file and write them into an
extra password-file only readable for the webserver, which is no good idea
neither.

Or you could use a patched pam-modul which checks the passwords for you,
which is the best solution i can think of.

But if you want to do a webmail, you actually don't need to check the
password. Your imap/pop-server will do that for you.

BTW: There already are lots of webmails in php, just check
nocc.sourceforge.net for example and there are many others.