Sean Straw / PSE wrote:

> The design consideration here is that an SQL dependance means anyone
> who might want to use the module (this is for dealing with CodeRed and
> W32/Nimda and no doubt the next IIS worm that strikes) must do SQL
> setup for a new database, etc.
>
> oh, and after verifying that the whois protocol is indeed as trivial
> as I thought is was, I've dealt with that - so at the moment, my
> script isn't dependant upon any external utilities (obviously, support
> for updating a firewall would require an external script (fired up
> from cron), but that isn't required unless you're going to actually
> enable the firewalling capability, and it still isn't something that
> is exec'd from the PHP script).

Just to throw my two cents in, I'd agree with Richard that SQL would
make this much easier.  Yes, you'd need to set up a db or table for the
SQL stuff, but it's going to be much more scaleable, and my hunch is
most people that are concerned enough about nimda and future
worms/viruses/etc are either going to have some SQL database at their
disposal, or will expend the time/effort to get one.

Also, consider those with multiple web servers - each of them logging
distinct data would be overkill - a separate DB machine would take the
load off them (network only, no disk) and keep a centralized copy of logs.

Good luck.

Michael Kimsal
http://www.tapinternet.com/php/
PHP training courses