How can I read the /etc/passwd file when safe mode is turned on. is
there a work around on this. Hear is a function I use to check if a
username is already in use on the system. This works fine when safe
mode is off but when it is on it gives this error.
Warning: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 110 is not allowed
to access /etc/passwd
owned by uid 0 in /home/sites/home/inc/function.inc on line 462
Warning: file("/etc/passwd") - Success in /home/sites/home/inc/function.inc on line 462

function pass() {
$pass=file("/etc/passwd");
for ($i=0; $i<count($pass); $i++) {
  $pwentries=explode(":",$pass[$i]);
  if ($username == $pwentries[0]) {
     print_error("
    <h2>The Username $Username is already being used on this system</h2> ");
   exit;
    }}
}

Best regards,