$PHP_AUTH_USER is filled in based on the value coming from the browser.
unsetting it in PHP makes no sense as the browser is simply going to set
it again on the next request.  There is no way to clear this from the
client-side short of changing the realm or denying the authentication with
a 403.

-Rasmus