"Richard Lynch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
046901c14d62$b4c7a0c0$c801a8c0@Lynchux100">news:046901c14d62$b4c7a0c0$c801a8c0@Lynchux100...
> 100 lines of 200 chars each is 20000 which is 20K which is chump change
for
> RAM...
>
> Unless you are on a super busy page on a super high-volume server, just
> file() it.
>
> If you're on a super busy page on a super high-volume server, file() it
> anyway, and then ap benchmark it to see if it's "slim enough" -- And if
not,
> profile it to be sure it's the file() that's killing you, not something
> else.

    I realized it was insignificant amount of memory, but I
    wasn't sure about whether this was ok or not in a server
    environment.  I will use file() and investigate further if it
    seems slow.  Thanks.

--
John A. Grant  * I speak only for myself *  (remove 'z' to reply)
Radiation Geophysics, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa