"Reductor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > How do I view these *.php pages locally. I'm using Windows
> > > NT and I have both MSIE (preferred) & Netscape.

> http://miniserver.wxs.org Is the URL to the Miniserver Site Its a great
> little web server, havn't had a problem, also the easiest to setup, and
you
> can install perl, php, and run isapi pages easily....also just install
> mysql, set it up in php, and use mysql :D

    Thanks (also to Martin for his similar idea). I will look into
    that server.

    I've installed ActivePerl, which gives me a way to run .pl
    files, i.e. :
        c:\> perl someprogram.pl

    Does the php installation give me a command-line
    interpreter like that?

    Here's why I'm asking. I have a set of pages that I want
    to convert to php, but I will also need to drop those pages
    onto a CD too.  I supposed I could view each page from
    the server and 'save as HTML' locally, but I was thinking
    that I might be able to run a php interpreter on the *.php
    pages and generate corresponding *.html pages in batch
    mode as follows:
        c:\> php index.php > index.html
        c:\> php about.php > about.html
        etc.

    and then run a batch search/replace program on the
    *.html files to change all links to .php pages to link
    to the newly-generated pages.

    Is there anything like that or does the install package just
    configure a web server?

--
John A. Grant  * I speak only for myself *  (remove 'z' to reply)
Radiation Geophysics, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa