Hey man, when I ask you how is 2+2 you will answer -> 4 but when I ask you
how is 2*3.141596535 you use a calculator. In both cases I speak with
you(make a connection). In the first case you don't need to use calc because
you don't have to use it.
PHP and Mysql are two standalone apps and when PHP wants to communicate with
mysql a connection is needed.