Strings are arrays, so you can print out a string by doing something like
this:

$string = "hey there!";

for ($i=0; $i<count($string); $i++) {
  echo strtoupper($string[$i]);
}

That's about all there is to it! :)  Use the strtoupper() function if you
mean to have everything uppercase like in your example.

Rick