With Apache this goes in the <VirtualHost> block.

# Turn on the rewrite engine
RewriteEngine on
# The next line means ignore lines without a referrer
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
# Then ignore lines that the referrer was any host at "our_domain.com"
(the good guys).
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://.*our_domain.com/.*$ [NC]
# Rewrite lines that had the request for *.jpg or *.jpeg or *.JPG or
.JPEG or *.gif or .GIF and so on to a small warning gif file.
# That says, "Don't steel our bandwidth. If you are receiving this in
error contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]"
RewriteRule .*[Jj][Pp][Ee][Gg]$|.*[Jj][Pp][Gg]$|.*[Gg][Ii][Ff]$
http://all-ghost.com/banners/bandwidth_stolen.gif

Amazing isn't.