"John A. Grant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
    [...]
> How do I distinguish between false and "$xxx parameter not
> passed"? Do I use isset()? Do I use ===?

Well, I guess I should have done some homework first. This
code seems to work fine:

    function somefunction($text,$xxx=null)
    {
        if(isset($xxx)){
            echo $xxx ? "true" : "false";
        }else{
            echo "null";
        }
        echo "\n";
    }

    somefunction("hello");
    somefunction("hello",true);
    somefunction("hello",false);

It prints:
    null
    true
    false

which is what I want.

--
John A. Grant  * I speak only for myself *  (remove 'z' to reply)
Radiation Geophysics, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa