OK, there goes any pretense of intelligence that I may have been able to
muster ;-)

The AddType tag was found inside another as follows:

<IfModule mod_php4.c>

Is there some way I can check if this module is present, otherwise what
you're saying is that the AddType isn't being executed if the <IfModule> is
false, yes?

What a pillock. I can see this is going to be some learning curve.
Warwick