Is that line inside a function?  If so, have a look through

        http://php.net/manual/en/language.variables.scope.php

for information on how to access global-scope variables from inside a
function.

---
Mark Roedel             |  "Blessed is he who has learned to laugh
Systems Programmer      |   at himself, for he shall never cease
LeTourneau University   |   to be entertained."
Longview, Texas, USA    |                           -- John Powell