Using standard internet mail, no.  You can *request* that a read receipt be
sent when the email is opened by the recipient, but there is no guarantee
that that person will allow the receipt to be sent.  Read receipts also often
annoy the recipient and can be perceived as rude and intrusive.

You could try something fancy with HTML mail, but again, that's not
guaranteed since not all MUAs can (or do) understand HTML mail.

--kurt