Well, you can make good use of regular expressions, or write your own function.
(It turns out i needed the functions, so I just wrote them, and included
them here)

//This regex checks for > 1 letters in a string - anything else will fail
if(ereg('^[a-z|A-Z]+$', $sName))
         echo 'Valid';
else
         echo 'Invalid';
//Returns TRUE if all characters in sString are found in sValidChars
function ValidChars($sValidChars, $sString)
{
         $len = strlen($sString);
         for($i=0; $i<$len; $i++)
                 if(strpos($sValidChars,$sString[$i])===FALSE)
                         return FALSE;
         return TRUE;
//Returns TRUE if none characters in sString are found in sValidChars
function InvalidChars($sValidChars, $sString)
{
         $len = strlen($sString);
         for($i=0; $i<$len; $i++)
                 if(strpos($sValidChars,$sString[$i]))