"David Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> SELECT * FROM My_Table ORDER BY Business_Name, Last_Name, First_Name;
>
> What I would _like_ to have happen is that the select list will end up
> sorted by business name as well as last name and then first name.  At
> the moment this query is resulting in all business names (sorted) and
> then, following all business names, all last/first names (also sorted).
>
> I want them all integrated into a single alphabetical list.

This is really an SQL question so the MySQL mailing list would have been a
better place to ask, but...

You need to do an IF() to check whether to use Business_Name or a combo of
Last_Name/First_Name, then you need to join Last_Name/First_Name if
Business_Name is empty and name the column something and order by that
column.

SELECT IF( Business_Name<>'', 'Business_Name', CONCAT( Last_Name, ', ',
First_Name ) ) AS mylist
FROM My_Table
ORDER BY mylist

--
Steve Werby
President, Befriend Internet Services LLC