I need a routine that will allow me to trap multiple <br> and/or line feed
characters and convert them to a constant number.  As an example, let's say
that you have text that has 10 carriage returns and/or line feeds.  I want
to limit this to 3.  So, I need to be able to parse the line to detect the
multiple control characters and convert the string to 3.  So if the string
looked something like:

This is \n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n a test.

I would want it converted to

This is \n\n\n a test.

Conceivably, it could be

I would want it converted to

I know I could write a do/while loop, but I was wondering if there is a way
using eregi_replace or something along that line?

Thanks!