sorry if I'm not understanding correctly your problem... but it seems quite
simple to me...
I've created like 10.000 php forms that does that... I don't see a prob...

what do you want to do?

process a form:
if something's wrong, print error message and go back
if everything is fine go to another page... that's it?

well... database inserts has nothing to do with headers...

you can easily do something like

<?php
switch ($action)
{
         case "process-form":    if( ProcessForm() )
                                         header("Location: next-page.php");
                                 else
                                 {
                                         ShowHeader(); // function to
display all the HTML you want
                                         printErrMessage();
                                         ShowFooter();
                                 }
                                 break;
         default:                        ShowForm();
                                 break;
}
?>

where ProcessForm returns true or false depending on the DB operation...

of course there cannot be any output before the switch?

did it help?